Friday, May 8, 2009

Beware of floors that sparkle


A few months ago when Sus and I went to a midday movie and the trailer for 'Confessions of a Shopaholic' came up she almost immediately quipped 'that's you Sarah'. I acted all faux-offended and rolled with the punches at this rather hilarious joke as it was a pretty apt fictional exaggeration of me. That was then, and now, well truth be told...it IS totally me!

Today Bif and I put on our mall-rat hats and got all tuckered out at god-awful Westfield of all places! But as much as I mock the mall, I really enjoyed myself, and dare I say it, am thirsty for more (and more, and more)! We started off slow in the low-budget accessory emporiums Diva and Equip, buying unnecessarily large bows, a bad excuse of a faux-turquoise ring and a plucked pheasant headpiece. Should we have stopped there? Yes. Did we stop there? No. The shiny floors drew us deeper and deeper into the claws of mass consumption. Shiny floors are TOTALLY a marketing trap in malls b.t.w; they make you freaking giddy and drunk with unnecessary lust over bad YSL knock off heels. So what do I do about all of this? Buy two pairs of shoes from Wild Pair (i know) of course. I blame it on the epileptic fit my ears were having in there and Bif's stupid 'pick a hand' process of elimination while trying to make a rational decision - neither are conducive to a rational decision, no matter how you look at my two pairs of new shoes. As soon as I got home I frantically disposed of the boxes to make it seem like it all didn't happen and now I sit here, bowing my head in shame (with a grin of shallow and superficial gratification, of course).


That's me in a few years time - right before I begin to eat my clothes because I have no money left, and even then I don't think I could do it. My buckling closet (no shit, the bar is bending in a very uneasy way and creaks when a speck of dust falls on it) is my freaking security blanket. It's my almost like my oxygen. On the drive home Bif suggested me going through my wardrobe on a TradeMe pillage (again!) and I'm pretty sure I yelled 'NO!' at her. When did this happen to me? I'm trying to think really hard to the point in my life when I just snapped. And it was a snap...or was it a progressive evil that slowly seeped its way into my bloodstream over time?

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with the sparkly floors in malls - in VIVO CITY there were these amazing tiled floors that sparked like water in the moonlight, and ever since then, when I chance upon those tiles again in an unrelated setting, I think of my wonderful time in vivo city and start daydreaming of the day that I can return.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Glad to hear that you haven't closed shop.

    ReplyDelete