Wednesday, April 14, 2010

95 minutes of stupid


Am I the only person in the world who thought that 500 Days of Summer was totally bullshit? I think I am. Everyone raves about this awesome, modern take on romance that 'is not a love story' or is a 'real account of love' blah, blah, blah, spew. Are you khu-razy? I think you are, or at least this film is. I was very intrigued and happy when the opening line of the film promised a non-love story as I settled into a dvd night driven slightly by bitterness and a general 'fuck you' attitude to all things fluffy and sweet.

Seriously, what the hell? It's all gooey. It's all about optimism. It's pretty much all about this wonderfully romantic notion of 'fate'. Spew. It was stupid. I felt cheated. I felt like I was dating the film and it went out and cheated on me. I'm pretty sure my mouth was hanging open with disbelife when Joseph Gordon-Levitt meets Autumn and the love counter begins again at 1. No way!

Look I'm sorry. I'm very Oscar the Grouch today, but really. I'm all for a cheesy love story and feeling good, they're great. But please don't package yourself as a fuck you to soppy cliches and somehow find a way to get people to back up that false claim when you're not. Because you were just one big fat cliche 500 Days of Summer.

Sorry.

2 comments:

  1. No, I've heard this. Apparently the guy wrote Zooey Deschanel's character as an unsympathetic bitch because, surprise surprise, he was/is still rather bitter about the break up.
    I haven't seen the film so I can't really comment, but I do want to google image search for pictures of Joseph Gordon-Levitt until my computer begs for mercy. Secks on a stick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah the characters reaked of real-life bitterness overload, Jesus dude grow some balls. But Zooey Deschannel's character still really bugged me in the same way Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character did and in the same way the ENTIRE MOVIE bugged me.

    p.s. Joseph Gordon-Levitt? Really?

    ReplyDelete