Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The Anorak


Anoraks. What a naf concept, seriously who wears them? (Me). But despite their naf wrap they have become somewhat my life saver. Unless I'm at the beach, a water park, involved in a pre-planned summer water fight where I'm wearing appropriate clothes or in need of a shower I hate getting wet. I'm not the kind of person who can find the funny side of being hit in the face with a water bomb by a pesky child. I will only find anger. Annoying, out of control kids, you have been warned.

So having this grinch attitude towards water I have learned throughout my short life that an umbrella will most certainly NOT suffice.Sure umbrellas look quaint. You can buy them in pretty patterns. You can get a transparent one from $3(+GST) from Japan and pretend you are Scarlett Johansson in Lost in Translation. But if there is wind, if the rain is feeling a bit crazy that day and decides to go here, there and everywhere? Then the umbrella is a foe, not a friend. But you know what is a friend in those situations, yes the anorak!

I bought the above lovely little anorak from American Apparel at the beginning of the year in Melbourne when it was 42 degrees (I tell no lies) and knew it would come in handy one day. Today is the day. While I appreciate my American Apparel anorak from shielding me from the storm today, I must admit it does not have my complete heart. My heart really belongs to my primary school compulsory issue anorak.

Now this baby was ex-pen-sive! Let me tell you (or let my parents tell you). But oh boy was it worth every single cent. It wasn't just waterproof. It was WATERPROOF. Industrial is the word I'd use to describe it. You could sail the seven seas wrapped up in this baby (there was even a velcro fastening to cover two thirds of your face) and not even notice you were at sea. It also had snugs. Warm, warm, warm felt lining. So warm you'd think it was lined with some kind of animal pelt rather than felt. Oh god I miss it. And considering that I haven't grown a single inch since I was 12, I reckon I could still fit it! Mother kept my shameful uniform dresses but decided that the anorak was suited for a trade in at the uniform shop. Whhhhyyyy?

No comments:

Post a Comment