Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Smoke? Oh!


Does this bother anyone else? Or is it just me? Yes, this image from the d_luxe Celestial Geometries campaign has been around for a while etc, but it kind of bothers me that the little lassie is smoking. Hey now, I'm not a smoking Nazi. I am in fact part of that really lame 'it makes people (in well styled photos) look cooler' club (hello Kate Moss). But this really bugs me. I think maybe because it's not just a photo of Kate Moss, or an editorial in some magazine. It's an ad. It's weird. It's very 1950s in that sense I suppose. But still it weirds me out. Looking at it at first it didn't bother me so much - but then it started cropping up as little ads all over the internet and now - yes, you guessed it, weird. Anyone else? Or am I just the only square here? I also think it's interesting that as someone who doesn't really have any hang-ups about smoking in general I'd have this reaction. Subliminal messages at play? Methinks yes.

p.s. Cute braids.

6 comments:

  1. I also think it is weird - what is the purpose of the cigarette? Why did they choose to include it? Also why does she have one really large hand that looks like it belongs to someone else? It would be a much nicer picture if they cropped the left third of the photo off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree (and am in the same club).
    I think it looks contrived for 2 reasons.
    1 - its not in context. where is the gloomy alley, sun-soaked field, dingy club, parisian apartment?
    2- she isn't actually smoking, she's just holding a lit cigarette. I love shots where the subjects are in the action of inhaling or exhaling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. agreed! good call, smoking is gross and should never be used to look cool! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. also: she looks about 17. is she even legally old enough to be holding that cigarette?

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow... I had never noticed the giant hand. wow. Surely it can't be hers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look very much like her hands. Maybe that's why they gave her the cigarette to hold- to detract attention from her large-handedness?

    ReplyDelete