Sunday, February 27, 2011





Somethings I see here in London are things that I have never seen in New Zealand.
A while ago, I caught the bus through some far flung London suburbs and went through an area called Stamford Hill. At first, it looked like any other suburb - until I saw people. The houses were the same, the roads were the same, but almost every single person I saw was an Orthodox Jew, or Haredi Jew, as they are called.
I was absolutely fascinated by it - not just the fact that they were dressed in the style of Haredi Jew's, but the fact that this was a total community. Literally, did not see any other "regular" people in the neighborhood other than us on the bus.

I found these pictures by London based photographer Andrew Aitchison, which were part of a photo essay he did on the Stamford Hill area.

A whole world apart from me literally just around the corner. The best part of my brief encounter was the teenage boy in full Orthodox clothing, listening to his ipod on the bus.

No comments:

Post a Comment